A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Roasted Asparagus

A longtime favorite at our dinner table, this makes a perfect side dish or snack when you're craving something green. (inspired by Ina Garten and Martha)

two bunches of fresh asparagus, trimmed
two to three tablespoons olive oil
coarse salt and pepper
grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Put asparagus on a large rimmed baking sheet and toss with olive oil until well coated. Season liberally with salt and pepper, and make sure the asparagus is in a single layer (use two sheets if needed). Sprinkle with parmesan to taste; I usually just grate the cheese right over it.

Roast for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. I tend to cook for closer to 20 minutes, but we like it pretty well roasted.

*I also use this asparagus for a light white pizza. Roast it for 10 minutes, then scatter over pizza dough and top with fresh mozzarella cheese. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment