A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Neater Sloppy Joes

I have to admit that the adults in our house like this one just as much as the kids. The mixture is nicely tangy and less sloppy than most. We like it with tater tots on the side—very gourmet. (adapted from allrecipes.com)

2 lbs lean ground beef
small onion, diced
4 stalks celery, diced
one green pepper, diced
can of condensed tomato soup (10.75 oz)
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
hamburger buns or kaiser rolls, for serving
shredded cheese for the top, optional

Cook ground beef in a large dutch oven over medium heat until browned. Add onion, celery and green pepper, then cover and cook another 5 minutes. Drain off grease if needed.

Stir in the tomato soup (undiluted), ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire, salt and garlic powder. Simmer over low heat for several minutes or until heated through, stirring frequently.

Spoon mixture over toasted buns or rolls. Sprinkle cheese on top if you like.

*A good one to make ahead on the weekend or freeze. Just defrost if needed and heat on the stove or in the microwave. This would be good on hot dog buns or even wrapped in tortillas if you're out of bread.

2 comments:

  1. Made this tonight...unfortunately we couldn't find tomato soup concentrate without HFCS. Hopefully the vegetables overcame the highly refined sugars. Though the half a bag of tater tots, or, rather, Hannaford Tasty Taters, probably didn't help.

    it was tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could try substituting organic tomato sauce or paste, I think it would work just fine...

    ReplyDelete