A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Friday, March 4, 2011

Homemade Brownies

These brownies freeze beautifully—keep some in the house just in case you need something sweet after dinner. Once you see how fast they are to make, you'll never go back to the boxed kind. (family recipe from my friend Beth)

6 oz unsweetened chocolate
2/3 cup unsalted butter
1 tablespoon vanilla
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup white chocolate chips*

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt unsweetened chocolate and butter over low heat in a large saucepan. Stir in sugar, eggs and vanilla with a wooden spoon; then sift in flour, salt and baking powder. Mix just until combined, then stir in chips or other mix-ins (see below).

Pour into a parchment-lined 9 x 13 pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. I always err on the side of underdone, so keep checking and don't overbake. Cool completely before cutting.

*You can substitute many things here in place of the white chocolate chips. Mini chocolate chips melt to create a sort of swirl, but regular chocolate chips work well too. Other ideas: walnuts, m&ms, toffee pieces, chopped peanut butter cups or other leftover candy, peppermint patties at x-mas.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a big proponent of the parchment "sling" for brownies. Cut parchment to fit lengthwise with an extra few inches on each end. Spray/grease that piece and then put another piece perpendicular to the first, again leaving a few extra inches on each side. When the brownies are done, you can lift the whole batch out with your sling and cool them on a rack. They cool faster and are much easier to cut when they're out of the pan.

    ReplyDelete