A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Creamy Tomato-Sausage Pasta

This might not win any health awards—but it's a definite crowd-pleaser. You can make the sauce ahead of time, then add to pasta later on in the week. Serve salad and garlic bread on the side. (adapted from epicurious.com)

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 shallots, chopped (or a small onion)
2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 lb sweet Italian sausages, casings removed
1/3 lb spicy Italian sausages, casings removed
1 cup whipping cream or half and half
2 cans diced tomatoes in juice with Italian seasoning (14.5 oz each)
1 tablespoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
3/4 lb farfalle pasta (bowties) or other pasta
grated parmesan cheese for serving

Heat oil in heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add shallots/garlic and saute for 3 to 4 minutes, then add the sausage and cook for 5 or 6 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking them up with the back of a spoon. Stir in cream and simmer for 5 minutes, then add tomatoes with juice, sage and crushed red pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until it thickens.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Return the pasta to the pot and combine with the sauce. Cook for a few minutes over medium-low heat, adding the cooking water a little bit at a time if the sauce seems dry. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve with lots of parmesan.

*You could make this with all sweet or all spicy sausage, but they're good mixed together. Stick the leftover sausage links in the freezer for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment