A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Friday, March 4, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

I can't make it through the winter without making chicken pot pie at least once. I usually double these ingredients to make two of them—one for the fridge and one for the freezer. (adapted from allrecipes.com)

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
two large carrots, diced
half a box of frozen green peas
two stalks celery, diced
one potato, finely diced
small onion, chopped
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 pie crusts (I use Pillsbury)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place chicken, carrots, peas, celery and potato in a large saucepan and add water to cover. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked, then drain and set aside. 

Melt butter in a saucepan or dutch oven and cook onions over medium-low heat for about five minutes. Stir in flour, salt and pepper, then slowly add the chicken broth and milk. Simmer for several minutes until it thickens, stirring frequently. Combine with the chicken/vegetable mixture. 

Press the first piecrust into a lightly greased pie dish, then pour in the filling. Cover with the other crust and seal the edges, then make a few slits in the top so steam will be able to escape. (If freezing, cover with foil at this point, and thaw overnight in the fridge before baking.)

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until light golden brown. If you think it's browning too quickly near the end, cover it loosely with foil. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.  

*You could use rotisserie chicken or leftover turkey here. Sometimes I skip the first step altogether and just use thawed mixed vegetables instead. And you could add other spices, like dried thyme, to the sauce to vary the taste.


1 comment:

  1. I make a very similar recipe. To save a few bit of calories, I saute my veggies in my homemade chicken broth. Yummy!

    Ashley
    www.TheThriftyWife.com

    ReplyDelete