A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mushroom and Fontina Quiche

Make one for brunch and another for next week's dinner—this recipe is easy to double. It's tasty with a mix of your favorite mushrooms, but you could also substitute other types of ingredients. (recipe from Bon Appetit)

1 refrigerated pie crust (or homemade)
1/4 stick unsalted butter
3 medium shallots, chopped
12 to 14 oz sliced assorted mushrooms
4 large eggs
2/3 cup half and half
1/3 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
7 oz Fontina cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Unroll crust and press firmly into the bottom and up the sides of a pie dish. Bake until light golden, about 15 minutes, checking occasionally to make sure crust is not slipping down the sides. If it does, use a spoon to gently press crust back into the dish. Reduce oven to 325 degrees.

Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and saute for 2 minutes, then add mushrooms and a bit of salt/pepper. Cook until tender, about 8 minutes, then transfer to a plate.

Whisk eggs, half and half, milk, salt, black pepper and nutmeg together in a large bowl. Stir in approximately two-thirds of the fontina and the cooked mushrooms and pour filling into the crust. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake until golden brown and just set in the center, about 45 minutes. Cool about 30 minutes before serving. Good with a green salad and buttered toast.

*If freezing, let quiche cool after baking and wrap tightly with foil. When ready to eat, thaw in the fridge for a day and then reheat gently in the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment