A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Buffalo Salmon

Another recipe that's good for both salmon-lovers and those of us who like salmon less. The butter mellows the hot sauce a bit, and the breadcrumbs make it a little more interesting. (from allrecipes.com)

4 pieces of salmon
5 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup hot sauce (like Frank's)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 425 degrees and move rack to upper third of oven.

Melt butter over medium heat and stir in the hot sauce. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and set aside. Toss breadcrumbs with the oil.

Place salmon skin down on an oiled baking sheet. Season with remaining salt and pepper. Measure out 1/4 cup of the butter sauce and then brush or spoon it over the salmon. Sprinkle oiled breadcrumbs over, pressing down lightly.

Bake for 16-20 minutes or until done. Drizzle the remaining sauce over salmon or serve it on the side.

*This recipe would work well with other types of fish. Use more panko if you want a thicker coating. Use more hot sauce and less butter if you like it spicy!

No comments:

Post a Comment