A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

White Chicken Chili

We eat this three seasons of the year—it's not too heavy, and the addition of cheese and chips makes it a big hit with the kids. (from Family Fun magazine)

3 tablespoons olive oil
large onion, chopped
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans white kidney beans (15 oz each), drained and rinsed
3 to 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 cup frozen corn
7 oz can diced green chiles
2 cups chicken broth, plus more for thinning if needed
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
black pepper
4 tablespoons half and half or light cream
shredded cheddar or monterey jack, for serving
crushed tortilla chips, for serving

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, then saute onion for about 7 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano and garlic and cook for one more minute. Stir in the beans, chicken, corn, green chiles, broth and salt, and simmer, partially covered, for about 10 minutes.

Mix the butter and flour together in a small bowl, then add to the chili. Stir for a minute or two until it thickens slightly, then add the half and half or cream, and a little more broth if you think it needs thinning. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with shredded cheese and chips.

*Skip the chicken, use vegetable broth and add more corn/beans to make it vegetarian. You could also up the amount of green chiles to give it more kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment