A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Turkey Meatloaf

The thick topping on this meatloaf gives it a nice sweet-and-savory flavor. If you want to make it on a weeknight, bake a few smaller loaves instead of one big one: they'll cook a lot more quickly. (adapted from allrecipes.com)

1 1/2 lb lean ground turkey
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup crushed saltines
2 eggs, beaten with a fork
small onion, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
dash or two of worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease loaf pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, milk, crushed saltines, eggs, onion, salt, pepper, ginger and worcestershire sauce, mixing well with clean hands. Transfer to the loaf pan. Stir the brown sugar and ketchup together in a small bowl, then spoon it over the meatloaf mixture. Sometimes I make a little extra topping just to make sure it's really coated.

Bake for approximately one hour, or until done. I use a meat thermometer to check if it's cooked through. (If you decide to do smaller loaves, start checking on them after about 25-30 minutes. You can use mini-loaf pans, muffin tins or just shape the loaves on a baking sheet with sides.)

*This freezes well, so I often make a double batch. Wrap the leftovers well in foil, then thaw them later on for sandwiches or reheat in the microwave.

2 comments:

  1. Hi - This recipe looks great, I think I'm going to give it a try. My kids don't usually like meatloaf, but I think it's because I try and put too much 'stuff' in it (causing my boy's onboard vegetable detector to sound an alarm, resulting in instant refusal!) It strikes me that this version would suit their tastes AND ours! thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really impressed with your philosophy. I wish I could be so organised. I tend to cook after work during the week and then end up relying on takeaways for a break at the weekendds

    ReplyDelete