A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Friday, March 4, 2011

Broccoli and Lemon Pasta

Cooking the broccoli right with the pasta makes this dish easy to prepare. Adjust the ingredients to taste—the leftovers are great at room temperature for lunch the next day. (idea from Martha Stewart Everyday Food)

1 lb bowties, rotini, penne or other pasta
fresh or frozen broccoli florets
one large lemon
olive oil
1 1/2 cups grated parmesan
two cloves crushed garlic
kosher salt and black pepper to taste
dash of crushed red pepper; optional (I usually just put this on the table)

Cook the pasta for five minutes less than the directions for al dente; then add the broccoli to the water for the final five minutes of cooking time. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water before draining.

While the pasta is cooking, grate the zest from the lemon into a small bowl, then squeeze the juice into that same bowl. Stir in the crushed garlic.

Toss pasta with 1/3 cup of the reserved cooking water, a few good glugs of olive oil, lemon zest/juice/garlic mixture and grated cheese. Add a little more cooking water if needed, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with additional parmesan.

*I use this same technique with boxed mac and cheese; throw some frozen veggies in to cook with the pasta and it becomes a little bit healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment