A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

Swipe the peanut butter cups from your child's stash of candy and make these rich, buttery cookies as soon as possible. Or, buy extra halloween candy at the store. These manage to be both crisp and chewy and sweet and salty at the same time—dangerous. (from Real Simple)

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
approx 12 oz small or large peanut butter cups, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat liners. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.

Using an electric or stand mixer, beat the butter and sugars together until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla, and beat to combine. Gradually add the flour mixture until just incorporated. Fold in peanut butter cups.

Drop spoonfuls of dough about 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Bake until just light brown at the edges, about 9 minutes. (Do not overbake). Transfer to a rack to cool.

*These freeze well or will keep for a few days in an airtight container on the counter, though it's doubtful they'll be around that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment