A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Friday, October 14, 2011

Cream Cheese Chili Dip

The perfect dish to bring to a potluck when you don't really have time to cook. Just three easy ingredients, and it gets rave reviews. We eat it every summer on vacation up in Canada. Reheat any leftovers and spoon into taco shells for a quick dinner. (from my sister-in-law Loren)

8 oz reduced-fat cream cheese, softened 
one can of turkey chili with beans; Trader Joe's sells a good one
shredded mexican cheese blend or cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread the cream cheese in a baking dish with the back of a spoon. Spoon chili over, then top with lots of shredded cheese. Bake for 15 minutes or until bubbly. Serve with Frito scoops or tortilla chips on the side. 

*You can fancy this up a bit by sprinkling toppings like shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, diced onions or sliced olives on top before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment