A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Cheesy Spinach Pie

One of the winning recipes from the Trader Joe's Pie Contest. This makes two pies, so put one in the freezer for another time or invite some friends over. Would also be good for brunch/lunch.

16 oz container cottage cheese
12 oz shredded cheddar cheese
large bag frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into chunks
two prepared pie crusts

Preheat oven to 375. Press one crust into each pie dish. In a large bowl, mix together the cottage cheese, cheddar, spinach, eggs, flour and butter. Pour 1/2 of mixture into each crust and spread evenly with a spoon. Bake for 45 minutes, then let sit for 15 minutes before serving.

*Another winner: Curry Chicken Pot Pie. Press pie crust into pan. In large bowl, mix a bottle of yellow curry sauce with 2 tablespoons flour. Add mixed veggies and diced chicken and pour into crust. Top with second crust, cut vent holes, and bake at 400 for 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment