A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Maple Salmon

Sweet and salty salmon, in about the same amount of time it would take to bake a frozen pizza. (from allrecipes.com)

1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 lb salmon 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a shallow baking dish, mix together the maple syrup, soy sauce, garlic, garlic salt and pepper. Add salmon and spoon the mixture over until it's well coated. Cover and marinate in the fridge for 20 minutes, if you have time. Bake salmon uncovered for 20 minutes or until it flakes easily.

*For some reason, this recipe brings to mind this side dish from my sister-in-law Beth. Melt 3/4 stick butter and mix it with 1/2 cup brown sugar, a little garlic powder and salt/pepper. Make small bundles of fresh green beans (12-14 each), wrap 1/2 strip of bacon around each, secure with a toothpick and place in a baking dish. Pour glaze over beans and bake covered at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, then uncovered for several more minutes or until the bacon browns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment