A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Monday, October 3, 2011

Marsala Chicken and Mushroom Rice

A simple recipe that definitely hits the spot. This comes together quickly and helps satisfy that cool-weather casserole craving. The cooking technique seemed a little strange to me the first time I made it—but it works. Easy to double and freeze for another time. (from Rachael Ray)

2 tablespoons butter
10 oz sliced mushrooms; I like baby Bellas
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup marsala wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
kosher salt and pepper
1 cup long-grain rice
roughly 2 cups chopped chicken, either leftover or rotisserie
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (or more)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle flour on top and cook for one more minute. Add marsala and cream and simmer for a few minutes or until slightly thickened. Add 2 cups water, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.

Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray, then spread the rice in pan in an even layer. Top with the chicken, then pour the mushroom mixture over. Cover the pan tightly with foil and bake for 35 minutes, or until bubbly. Remove foil, sprinkle parmesan on top and bake for another 5 minutes.

*Good with pretty much any green vegetable on the side; we usually go with plenty of steamed and buttered green beans, especially the frozen French Haricot Vert ones from Trader Joe's.

No comments:

Post a Comment