A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Penne with Vodka Sauce

This is one of those versatile recipes that's quick enough for a weeknight
and nice enough for a dinner party. Plus, you probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry already. (recipe from my sister Liz)

1/4 cup olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
kosher salt, to taste
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 lb penne
2 tablespoons vodka
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
parmesan cheese for serving

Add olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt to large skillet and cook over medium heat, 2-3 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes and simmer uncovered about 15 minutes, until slightly thickened.

Meanwhile, cook penne in salted water until al dente, and drain. Add cooked pasta to sauce and combine well. Add vodka and stir again, then add cream. Cook over low heat another 2 minutes, stirring. Stir in parsley and serve.

*Cheese is optional here, but delicious. Add some garlic bread on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment