A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Angel Hair Soup

Fast, satisfying and the leftovers are great for lunch the next day. (adapted from babble.com)

large box chicken broth (4 cups)
4 tablespoons jarred tomato sauce
1/2 lb angel hair pasta, broken in half
8 fresh basil leaves
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
grated parmesan cheese for serving

Combine broth and tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. Add noodles and cook until al dente, according to directions on the box. Stir in basil leaves.

Drizzle each serving with the olive oil, and add plenty of parmesan cheese.

*This would probably freeze fine, but I haven't yet since the recipe is so easy. Ditto for making ahead.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I visited your blog because of a comment you'd made on a NY Times piece - linked to by Words To Eat By (do you know this blog?) I've just started blogging, too, about feeding the family, trying to encourage trying new foods (sigh...) I love your ideas! Wild rice chicken supreme sounds delicious... (my kids hate stuff that's mixed up! - sigh, again) I don't face the challenge of working full time, though, so hats off to you! Congrats on a great blog and I'll hope you'll stop by to visit mine sometime, too! http://mealtimemeltdown.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete