A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Baked Orzo with Fontina and Peas

Equally enjoyed by most kids and grownups, thanks to the cheese. And the marsala/mushroom combo can't be beat. (recipe from the Food Network and my friend Stacy)

large box chicken broth (4 cups)
1 lb orzo pasta
3 tablespoons butter, plus more for greasing dish
1 onion, chopped
8 oz sliced mushrooms; baby Bellas are good here
1 cup Marsala wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup shredded fontina cheese (4 oz)
1 cup diced fresh mozzarella (4 oz); I use the little "pearls" if I can find them
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup breadcrumbs; zap bread in the cuisinart for fresh ones
1/4 cup grated parmesan, or more to taste
1 teaspoon dried thyme

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and butter a 9 x 13 baking dish.

Bring broth to a boil in large saucepan, then add orzo and cook until almost done, about 7 minutes. Pour mixture into a large bowl and set aside. Melt butter in large skillet and saute onions over medium heat about 3 minutes, then add mushrooms and cook another 7 minutes or until golden. Add Marsala and cook 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping bits from bottom of pan, until slightly reduced.

Combine mushroom mixture, orzo and broth. Stir in cream, fontina, mozzarella, peas and salt/pepper, and pour into the baking dish. Mix breadcrumbs, parmesan and thyme and sprinkle on top (I like to add extra parmesan here). Bake about 25 minutes or until it looks done.

*Make with vegetable broth for vegetarian friends. Good for both weeknights and entertaining, since you can make it ahead and just pop it in the oven when you're ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment