A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Lighter Eggplant Parmesan

Serve over spaghetti or make toasted sandwiches on french bread—either way, it's a good one to have in the house. (adapted from Martha Stewart Everyday Food)

olive oil
2 large eggs, beaten with fork
1 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
1 cup grated parmesan
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
kosher salt and ground pepper
2 large eggplants, cut into 1/2" thick slices; can peel first, but I don't
2 jars good marinara sauce
2 cups shredded mozzarella

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine eggs and 2 tablespoons water in a shallow bowl. In another bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, parmesan, oregano and basil, and season with salt and pepper. Dip each slice of eggplant in egg mixture, then breadcrumbs, and place on oiled baking sheets. Bake 20 minutes, turn slices over, and bake another 20 minutes.

Spread 1/3 of the sauce in a 9 x 13 dish, then layer half of the eggplant slices over it. Cover with another 1/3 of the sauce and half of the mozzarella, then layer with the rest of the eggplant. Cover with remaining sauce and cheese.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand a few minutes before serving.

*Could also make with homemade tomato sauce or vodka sauce. Add more cheese if you're feeling decadent.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds wonderful - and I love the idea of sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete