A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Friday, February 25, 2011

Black Bean Tortilla Pie

Sort of like a quesadilla, but faster to make and an easy weeknight dinner. You could alter this with different types of beans, cheese and veggies. I make two at the same time to ensure plenty of leftovers. (another recipe from my dad)

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups corn kernels, slightly thawed
1/2 cup chopped red onion
shredded cheddar cheese
4 large flour tortillas
olive oil
cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix beans, corn and onion in a large bowl. Place one tortilla on a lightly greased baking sheet or dish (I use a Pyrex pie dish: the tortillas fit perfectly). Top with 1/3 of the bean mixture and shredded cheese, then repeat two more times, ending with the last tortilla.

Drizzle a little olive oil on the top and spread with the back of a spoon until coated. Sprinkle a little cayenne over, to taste. Bake 15-18 minutes or until bubbly and crisped on top. Slice into wedges to serve.

*I also make a similar stacked pie using pinto beans, shredded cheese and Trader Joe's jarred corn/red chile salsa.

1 comment:

  1. I made this tonight, served with a dollop of sour cream. Delicious!
    I took your advice and made two and am so glad I did..........this will be lunch and dinner tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete