A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Carrot Soup

I grew up eating this simple, delicious soup. It's filling, fairly healthy and perfect in the wintertime. Add good french bread or a salad on the side. (adapted from a Julia Child recipe)

1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
large box chicken broth (4 cups); could substitute vegetable broth
6 carrots, chopped; I don't peel them
2 potatoes, chopped; I don't peel these either
1 teaspoon salt
1 bay leaf
white pepper to taste
chopped parsley
1/2 stick butter for serving; tasty but optional

Melt butter in large pot or dutch oven and saute the chopped onion and garlic until golden. Add thyme and cook one more minute. Add chicken broth, chopped carrots and potatoes, salt, bay leaf and pepper. Simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes or until veggies are tender.

Take the bay leaf out, and puree soup right in pot with stick blender (recommended - less dishes) or in blender/cuisinart. Stir in butter, if using, and reheat on low until combined. Garnish with parsley.

*Peel the potatoes/carrots first for a smoother-tasting soup. I prefer it a bit more rustic. A good way to use up leftover carrots! You can alter the amounts slightly as needed, or substitute shallots for the onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment