A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Monday, November 28, 2011

Strawberry Swirl Bread

My husband and his friend Chris make homemade jam every summer—I like to steal some for this recipe. It makes two loaves, one for now and one for the freezer. I have to warn you that it's closer to cake than quick bread, but still very delicious for breakfast. (from Yankee Magazine)

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
16 oz container sour cream
jar of strawberry preserves
extra sugar for the top

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using an electric or standing mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat for 2 minutes. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl. Add to the butter mixture, alternating with the sour cream.

Divide 1/2 of the batter between two greased loaf pans, reserving the rest. Spoon an even layer of jam over batter, then swirl slightly into the batter with a fork. Cover with remaining batter, sprinkle with sugar and bake for 50-55 minutes. Cool slightly before removing from pan.

*I always use strawberry, but I'm sure this recipe would be good with other kinds of real fruit jam.

1 comment:

  1. Made yesterday with some of Scott's Whateva Jam. Good! Lee was disapproving of my baking sweets, though.

    ReplyDelete