A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Deep-Dish Pizza Muffins

These miniature pizzas are irresistible to kids, and mine even like to help make them too. We often add chopped turkey pepperoni and/or sliced mushrooms. (from Martha Stewart)

olive oil, for pan
2 balls of fresh pizza dough; let it sit out awhile before starting
kosher salt and ground pepper
shredded mozzarella; can also add diced fresh mozzarella
chopped tomato
other pizza toppings, as desired

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly oil muffin tin cups with olive oil or spritz with cooking spray. Separate each dough ball into six pieces, then stretch each piece out with your fingers before pressing into the muffin tins. Season with salt and pepper. Add a spoonful of chopped tomato, a spoonful of cheese and any other toppings you're using to each dough cup. Bake for 12-15 minutes, then let cool in pan for a few minutes before serving.

*Another one to try from Martha: Preheat broiler. Mix together 1/2 cup ricotta cheese with a little oregano and garlic. Split a bunch of mini-pitas and spread mixture on top. Top with thawed/dried frozen spinach and small chunks of fresh mozzarella. Broil for 4 to 6 minutes, rotating sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment