A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Friday, December 2, 2011

Southwestern Skillet Chicken and Rice

I don't usually buy minute rice, but I had half a box in the cabinet, so I decided to try this recipe. This definitely qualifies as weeknight easy, and it was a big hit at our table. (from Tasty Kitchen)

3 chicken breasts or 9 chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
1 cup mild salsa
1/2 of an 1 oz. packet of taco seasoning, or more to taste
2 cups water
2 cups uncooked Minute Rice
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream, chopped tomatoes and sliced black olives for serving

In a large skillet, bring the chicken, salsa, taco seasoning and water to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in rice and beans, and top with the cheese. Cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of tomatoes and olives.

*Next time I might add some Trader Joe's roasted corn to this recipe. We also love TJ's roasted corn salsa—good layered with stacks of tortillas and cheese, and then baked. It has a kick!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great - and easy. I, too, love that TJs corn salsa -- great with white beans, quinoa and chicken for a white chili. Also, another tip - cook your favorite rice with some of your favorite salsa for a faux Mexican rice. www.mainelyhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete