A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Icebox Cupcakes

A classic recipe that bears repeating. You can also assemble the cookies and cream in a line to create a simple log-style cake. Add chocolate sprinkles on top if a little helper happens to be around. (idea from Smitten Kitchen)

carton of heavy or whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
a few spoonfuls of powdered sugar
two boxes of Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers

Whip the cream and vanilla, sweetening to taste as you go. Set cupcake liners in a muffin tin and put a wafer in the bottom of each one. Add a spoonful of whipped cream, then another cookie, more cream, one more cookie, and a final bit of cream on top. Refrigerate a few hours or more before serving.

*Another fast summer treat: ice-cream sandwiches. Pick up a bag of cookies, a gallon of ice cream and a jar of good hot fudge (or other topping). Spread a thick layer of fudge on one cookie, add a big scoop of ice cream and top with second cookie. Wrap extras in plastic for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment