A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Farmer's Market Tomato Pasta

The key to this recipe is fresh, height-of-summer tomatoes. Find a local farmer to get the good ones, or harvest them from your own garden if you're lucky. (from Real Simple)

2 lbs heirloom tomatoes or other tomatoes, cut into bite-size chunks
1/4 cup mixed fresh herbs, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
kosher salt and ground black pepper
1 lb penne pasta
3 tablespoons pine nuts, lightly toasted
3/4 cup fresh ricotta
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, plus more for serving

Start the water boiling for the pasta. Combine the chopped tomatoes, mixed herbs, lemon juice, olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Let stand, tossing once in a while.

Cook the pasta until al dente and drain, reserving at least 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Return pasta to the pot and toss with ricotta, parmesan and enough of the cooking water to make it creamy. Top each serving of pasta with a big spoonful of the tomato mixture and sprinkle with the nuts. Serve with more parmesan.

*You can use any kind of herbs here; the recipe suggests flat-leaf parsley, chives, basil and/or tarragon. You could substitute toasted walnuts in a pinch (and save a little money).

No comments:

Post a Comment