A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Monday, January 23, 2012

Fish Pot Pie

Comfort food is key for surviving the long winter months. This recipe is a nice change of pace from chicken pot pie, but equally warm and satisfying. (from my work friend Liz)

2 tablespoons butter
large fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
2 medium shallots, chopped
2 tablespoons flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup vegetable broth
1 1/2 lbs halibut, cut into bite-sized pieces
6 oz package baby spinach
3 1/2 cups mashed potatoes*

Melt butter in a large, deep saucepan over medium heat, then add fennel and shallots. Cover and cook until tender, about 6-8 minutes, stirring a few times. Sprinkle with flour, salt and pepper, and cook for 2 more minutes. Add broth and bring mixture to a boil, stirring often. Add fish and spinach, cover again, and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until fish is almost cooked through.

Preheat the oven broiler. Transfer mixture to a large baking dish, then spoon warm mashed potatoes over the top to cover. Broil for 3-4 minutes or until the filling is bubbling and the potatoes are starting to brown in spots.

*I don't usually buy premade mashed potatoes, but I do for this recipe—it makes it very easy. If you have a good grocery store or deli, save yourself a little time and effort and pick some up.

1 comment:

  1. I am always looking for good recipes for my family. I am going to try this one for sure! I found your blog looking for a cauliflower soup recipe:)

    ReplyDelete