A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Roasted Broccoli and Walnut Pasta

I love how easy it is to throw a pan of veggies in the oven while you're waiting for pasta water to boil. This recipe toasts walnuts as well for a deliciously nutty combination. (from Real Simple)

12-16 oz orecchiette or other pasta
large bunch broccoli, cut into small florets (1 1/2 to 2 lbs)
3/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
kosher salt and black pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup grated parmesan, or more (we're a cheese-loving family)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Start the pasta water boiling. Toss broccoli, walnuts, olive oil, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes, stir, and bake for another 8 minutes or until broccoli is tender.

Cook the pasta until just al dente, then reserve 3/4 cup of the cooking water before draining. Return pasta to the pot and toss with the broccoli/walnut mixture, butter and 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water. Add a little more if it seems dry. Sprinkle with parmesan before serving.

*The broccoli would make a nice dish on its own, and you could also try this with cauliflower.

1 comment:

  1. this looks nice and easy! and I love walnuts. thanks, Kate!

    ReplyDelete