A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Curried Cauliflower Soup

A healthy recipe that's good for New Year's resolutions and post-holiday detox. The pureed cauliflower gives it a creamy texture, while the curry adds plenty of flavor. (from Martha Stewart)

one large head of cauliflower, cut into florets (about 6 cups or 2+ lbs)
2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
kosher salt
1 tablespoon butter
3 onions, sliced 1" thick
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
4 cups water
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Toss cauliflower with oil and 1 teaspoon salt on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast in a single layer for 25 minutes, stirring once during cooking.

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in roasted cauliflower, curry powder, water and broth. Cover and bring to a boil, then uncover and simmer over low heat for 5 more minutes. Transfer half the cauliflower to a bowl using a slotted spoon and set it aside. Puree the remaining ingredients with a stick blender or food processor until smooth. Stir in the reserved cauliflower and parsley and serve.

*This would be good with naan or toasted pitas on the side, or a big green salad with nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment