A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Zucchini Pizza

I love gruyere and I love zucchini, so it's no wonder I was drawn to this recipe. The pizza is light, quick and a good choice for summer nights when you'd rather not be in the kitchen. (idea from Babble)

fresh pizza dough, let it sit out for a while first
2 large zucchini
kosher salt
shredded gruyere cheese (8 oz)
breadcrumbs for the top
parmesan cheese for serving

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Shred the zucchini with a food processor or box grater, then toss with a few teaspoons of kosher salt. Let drain in a colander for about 20 minutes, then squeeze out any excess liquid.

Press pizza dough into a lightly oiled pan. Toss the zucchini with the gruyere, then sprinkle mixture evenly over the dough, all the way to the edges, spread in a thin layer. Top with a handful of breadcrumbs.

Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Top with a little parmesan cheese before serving.

*I use fresh breadcrumbs—just zap a few pieces of bread in your Cuisinart until roughly chopped. I often make a big batch and stick the rest in the freezer to have on hand.

2 comments:

  1. I made this and it was good, although my zucchini was too salty. Do you rinse at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to like things on the salty side. You could rinse it though, I'd just make sure to squeeze the zucchini out in paper towels afterwards...

    ReplyDelete