A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Creamy Pesto Gnocchi

Now that you have a great pesto recipe, here's another speedy summer meal. It's also good for dinner with friends since you won't have to spend much time in the kitchen. (from Real Simple)

1 lb gnocchi, refrigerated or frozen
1/2 lb green beans, cut in half (about 2 cups)
1 cup pesto
1/4 cup heavy cream
kosher salt and black pepper
1/2 cup ricotta

Cook the gnocchi according to directions, adding green beans for the last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain and return to the pot. Add pesto and cream and cook over medium heat for a few minutes, stirring, until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top each serving with a healthy dollop of ricotta.

*One more pesto meal: toss pesto with cooked cheese tortellini, pine nuts and cherry tomatoes. Serve either warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment