A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Chocolate Caramel Treats

These easy, addictive sweets are nice to have on hand for the holidays. Store them layered between wax paper in the fridge for up to two weeks. (from Gourmet)

12 graham cracker or chocolate graham cracker squares (approx 5 x 2 1/2 inches each)
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup walnuts, pecans or almonds, toasted and chopped; or try crushed pretzels

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil, leaving a small overhang on both ends. Cover bottom of pan with graham cracker squares. Melt butter over low heat, then whisk in brown sugar and salt until well combined. Pour over crackers, spreading evenly. Bake about 10 minutes or until bubbly.

Remove from oven, scatter chocolate chips over the top and bake for 1-2 minutes. Spread the melted chocolate chips over the crackers with a spatula, then sprinkle with nuts. Cool on rack for 30 minutes, then freeze for another 10 minutes. Lift foil from pan and peel off carefully, then break treats into pieces for serving.

*Another one that's fun to do with kids: Place pretzel rings or small pretzels on a greased baking sheet. Put chocolate kisses or Rolos on top and bake at 275 for 2-3 minutes. Remove and immediately place an M&M on top of each one, pressing down slightly. Store in fridge or freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment