A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Friday, March 9, 2012

Family-Friendly Cheese Fondue

No wine here, just a mild pot of cheesy goodness that your kids are sure to gobble up. Serve with chunks of bread, steamed veggies, cooked tortellini, fruit or whatever strikes your mood. (from Wondertime)

1 cup milk
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 lb Monterey Jack cheese, coarsely grated
2 tablespoons flour

Heat the milk and garlic in a saucepan over medium heat until simmering, 2-3 minutes. Toss cheese and flour together in a bowl or large Ziploc bag until cheese is nicely coated. Whisk cheese into milk one handful at a time, stirring, until all the cheese is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove the garlic clove and serve. Fondue pots work best, but in a pinch, you can serve a bit at a time in a warm bowl while keeping fondue on the lowest setting on the stove.

*Spread any leftovers on bread and then broil for fast open-faced grilled cheese sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment