A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Zucchini Pie

Did I already say that I love zucchini? Well, it is the season. Here's a savory pie with pizza-like ingredients. Call it "Zucchini Pizza Pie" for extra kid appeal...

one prepared pie crust
2 large zucchini, thinly sliced
kosher salt
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
scant 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
pinch of salt
14 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese

Toss the sliced zucchini with a little salt and let it sit to drain in a colander for 20 minutes or so. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Combine garlic, olive oil, crushed red pepper and salt in a pan, and cook for a few minutes over medium-low heat until garlic is golden. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Spread pie crust in dish, then add a series of layers, in this order: 1/2 of ricotta cheese, a few spoonfuls of tomato sauce, 1/2 of the zucchini, all the mozzarella cheese, the rest of the ricotta, the rest of the zucchini, the rest of the sauce.

Bake for 40 minutes, and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

*You could use summer squash here too. Skip the mozzarella if you want to cut down on calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment