A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Pasta Carbonara with Peas

Great for those times when you have a little leftover bacon or cream in the house just waiting to be used up. This carbonara is lighter than most, but just as wonderful, and the peas add a nice bright note. (from Jamie Oliver)

1 lb farfalle pasta
1 egg
7 tablespoons heavy cream
kosher salt and black pepper
8-10 slices of bacon, roughly chopped
1 cup of frozen peas
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and add the farfalle. When you have about 3 minutes left on the pasta time, add the peas. Drain, making sure to reserve some of the cooking water, and return to the pot.

Meanwhile, cook the bacon until crisp, then blot on paper towels and set aside. Whisk egg and cream together in a bowl, then add salt/pepper to taste.

Stir the bacon into the pasta and peas right after the pasta is drained. Quickly add cream mixture and toss with the pasta, then add a little of the cooking water and the parmesan and toss again. Serve immediately.

*The original recipe called for a few sprigs of fresh mint, chopped. I didn't have any so I skipped it, but I'll try adding at the end next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment