A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Chicken Turnovers

I love this recipe for its simple ingredients and minimal prep. These buttery, savory turnovers are sure to please—serve with your favorite sauce on the side. Could easily be adapted with different ingredients. (from Real Simple)

1 1/2 cups rotisserie chicken or other shredded chicken
1 1/2 cups shredded gruyere cheese
1 cup frozen peas
salt and pepper
2 sheets puff pastry, thawed (17.25 oz package)
large egg, beaten with a fork
dijon or honey mustard, for serving

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine the chicken, cheese and peas in a large bowl. Season with a little salt and pepper. Spread out the puff pastry sheets and roll out a bit with a rolling pin. Cut each sheet into 4 rectangles and place the eight pieces on a cookie sheet.

Top each piece with a large spoonful of the chicken mixture, then fold pastry over and crimp the edges together with your fingers. Brush tops with egg, then bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Serve with mustard on the side.

*To freeze, wrap each turnover in plastic wrap before brushing the egg on top, and then place all of them in a large ziploc bag (I write baking instructions on the bag with a Sharpie). When ready to serve, just thaw for 20 minutes before baking and don't forget to brush the top with beaten egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment