A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Asian Spinach Salad

A salty-sweet dressing and lots of crunch make spinach salad much more fun. Add some leftover chicken and call it dinner. (from my friend Heather W)

8 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
salt and pepper
1/2 cup slivered almonds
3 oz package Ramen noodles, coarsely broken (throw away seasoning packet)
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
10 oz baby spinach
chopped scallions

Whisk 6 tablespoons oil, sugar, vinegar and soy sauce in a small bowl or shake it together in a mason jar. Season with salt and pepper.

Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add almonds, noodle pieces and sesame seeds and cook for several minutes, stirring, until nicely toasted and golden. Put mixture in a large salad bowl and let it cool. Toss with spinach and scallions and enough dressing to coat.

*You can make the dressing and toast the nuts/noodles/seeds ahead of time. Just combine everything when you're ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment