A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Friday, September 7, 2012

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Some broccoli-cheese soups can turn out thick and heavy. Not this one—it has a ton of flavor without milk or cream, and the croutons make all the difference. (from 101Cookbooks.com)

3 cups small bread chunks; use rustic artisan-type bread
2 tablespoons melted butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil, combined
1 1/2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
1/4 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
1 shallot, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 1/2 cups good vegetable broth
1 large head broccoli (3/4 lb), cut into small florets
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar, plus more for serving
1-3 teaspoons whole-grain mustard, to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk butter/oil, mustard and salt together in a large bowl. Add bread cubes and toss until well coated, then place on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes, stirring once or twice, until nice and crunchy.

Meanwhile, add butter or oil to a large saucepan set over medium-high heat. Add shallots, onion and a pinch of salt, then saute for a few minutes. Add potatoes, then cover and cook for 4-5 more minutes. Stir in garlic and broth and bring to a boil, simmering until potatoes are tender. Add broccoli and simmer for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and puree soup with a stick blender. Slowly stir in cheddar cheese and mustard until combined. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkling of cheese and a generous handful of croutons on top.

*These croutons are so good, I usually make extra and serve them with other soups or salads.

No comments:

Post a Comment