A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Friday, April 27, 2012

Cherry Tomato Pasta

Tomato season is still a few months away here, but this recipe helps fill the gap. Ripe cherry tomatoes from the grocery store are baked with garlicky breadcrumbs, then tossed with basil and cheese for a taste of summer before it actually gets here. (from epicurious)

1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb very ripe cherry tomatoes, halved
1/3 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 lb fusilli or farfalle pasta
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking dish with a little of the oil, then place tomatoes cut side up in the dish. Mix breadcrumbs, cheese and garlic in a bowl, then sprinkle mixture over the tomatoes, making sure each one is covered. Season top with salt and pepper. Bake for about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of salted water until just al dente, saving a little cooking water before draining. Toss cooked pasta with the tomato mixture, basil and olive oil. Stir in a little more oil or cooking water if necessary and season with salt and pepper if needed. Serve with extra parmesan cheese.

*Make your own breadsticks - I start with a thin prebaked pizza crust from the bakery section (look for the rectangular ones, not the bobolis), then brush with olive oil. Shake a little garlic salt on top, sprinkle with fresh parmesan. Bake at 400 degrees for several minutes or until toasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment