A Working Mom's Meal Plan

The hardest part of my day is when we get home and everyone is immediately hungry. I love to cook and prefer
home-cooked meals, but I don't like to cook much during the work week. And yet, dinner has to get on the table...
My solution: make-ahead meals, freeze-ahead meals and recipes so easy that I'll make them on a Monday. I cook
mostly on the weekends, always doubling recipes, and rely heavily on my extra freezer and a decently-stocked pantry.
This cooking style saves me time and money, and it makes my life simpler—so I can actually enjoy sitting down
to supper at 6 with my family. I hope these recipes will make the witching hour a little better at your house too.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Browned Butter Rice Krispie Treats

I realize you may be thinking that you already know how to make rice krispie treats. But, a few tweaks to the original recipe make a huge difference. You'll be stealing these from your child's lunchbox. (from Smitten Kitchen)

1 stick unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the pan
10 oz. bag of mini-marshmallows
Heaping 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal (about half of a 12 oz. box)

Butter an 8x8 pan and set aside (or, double the recipe and use a 9x13 pan, you won't be sorry). 

Melt the butter over medium-low heat in a large, heavy saucepan. It will melt, then foam a bit, turn clear and finally start to brown after several minutes. Keep a close eye on it and make sure to stir frequently, because it can burn easily. Once it starts to smell nutty and look fairly golden brown, turn the heat down to the lowest setting and stir in the marshmallows until melted. 

Remove from heat and stir in the salt and the cereal at the same time. Spread mixture into pan. You can use a piece of waxed paper spritzed with cooking spray to press it in without sticking. Let cool, then cut into squares for serving.

*Stir in tiny round rainbow-colored sprinkles and these are instantly festive enough for a party. You could add mini m&ms for the same colorful effect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment